Saturday, January 16, 2010

Crows: Episode 0 (or Crows ZERO)

.
It took me 3 days to watch this one. I watched half and then I got busy and wasn't able to finish it until tonight.




I started watching this one thinking it was going to be a stupid HS gang movie. It was actually pretty good. I'm giving this one 4.5 Katana Swords out of 5. I would have given it a 3 without Oguri Shun and a 4 WITH Oguri Shun.


Then I got a nice treat. My boy, Takayuki Yamada from "Crying Out Love, In The Center of The World" and "Densha Otoko" (The movie not the drama) was in it. Keeping it at 4 KS even if the plot sucked.

AND THEN...I saw Kenta Kiritani. There goes my .5 for a total of 4.5 KS.


So, the story is basically new guy Takiya Genji (Oguri Shun), who is the son of a Yakuza boss, transferring to Suzuran H.S. with the intention of conquering it. In order to do this, he needs to defeat Tamao Serizawa (Takayuki Yamada) who is the closest to doing so. Most of the movie is Genji and Serizawa recruiting the other minor gangs at the school to their side in preparation for the big fight between Genji's gang and Serizawa's gang to see who inches closer to conquering the school. There are other bits and pieces to the story. Genji befriends one of his father's rival men, Ken, who is pretty much just a guy who always dreamed to being a better man than he turned out. He pays a price for his friendship with Genji. There's Tokio (Kenta Kiritani) who is part of Serizawa's gang; but it turns out he is a former friend of genji's from their Junior School days.

This movie felt like a Quentin Tarantino movie. It was directed though by Takashi Miike oddly enough, whom I remember mostly for that damn horror movie "Ichi The Killer". After reading up on him though, I see he's actually made films in many other genres.


I like this scene. Last two standing; who will win?











Not sure what I'm going to watch next. I may just wait a few days so I can do my 101st Marriage Proposal summaries.
.

No comments: