Friday, July 05, 2024

A Few Good Dramas

 I found a few good dramas over on Netflix. One each Chinese, and Korean, and 3 Japanese  One of the Japanese is a movie  

Japanese
Drawing Closer 2024 MOVIE
With only a year left to live, 17-year old Akita finds new meaning in life by bringing joy to a terminally ill girl who has just six months remaining. 

Similar theme as 2004’s Sekai no Chūshin de, Ai o Sakebu (Crying Out Love in the Center of the World) and 2005’s Ichi Rittoru no Namida (1 Litre of Tears). I am a sucker for these kinds of tearjerkers. 

Japanese
Black Forceps 2024 - 10 episodes
A brilliant surgeon with a reputation for being difficult battles his colleagues’ incompetence and a new medical device that could make him obsolete. 

This one doesn’t seem to interesting but it has Arashi’s Kazunari Ninomiya so I figured why not. 

Japanese
Public Affairs Office in the Sky - 2013 - 11 episodes 
In this inspiring romance, a former pilot and a demoted TV director meet at the Japan Air Self-Defense Force and discover new paths in life. 

A lot of the J and K dramas I’ve watched have some kind of lesson to learn about life. Lessons on how to be just a good person in general. They have a way of making you see certain things in a way that you may not have thought of before.  Inspirational dramas are full of good feels.  


Korean
Miss Night and Day 2024 - 16 episodes
Life is already hard for Mi-Jin, but add supernatural age flipping, a tough new boss…and a blooming romance?  How will she navigate her new life?

Can’t lie, I’m not crazy about the plot. Doesn’t sound great but it’s got Choi Jin-hyuk and that’s good enough for me. Since I’ve been watching dramas (early ‘90s), I don’t think I’ve ever had to bail on one. There are quite a few that I’ve seriously thought of abandoning during my “3 episode rule” but I stuck with them and they turned out to be a lot better than I thought. 

Chinese
The Double - 2024 - 40 episodes
When acts of betrayal leave her family broke, a young woman assumes a false identity and, aided by her political allies, fights for justice. 

I’ve been looking for a good Chinese drama since 2016’s The Princess Weiyoung. I think that was my first C-drama and it was so good!  I’m hoping The Double is good also. 

My plan is to watch an episode of each drama and then the movie. After the movie, I’ll decide how I want to watch the rest of the dramas.

No comments: