Saturday, July 06, 2024

(2024) The Double ~ 墨雨云间 (E01)

 My drama watching history is non existent really.  The first one I ever watched was The Princess Weiyoung and I think it was on DramaFever.  Then I watched Medical Examiner Dr. Quin (2016) which was also a really good.  That one had a total of 3 seasons but I only watched the first.  I really liked the lead girl (Jiao Junyan) so when I found out she wasn't going to be in the other 2, I decided I was probably not going to be watching those. The Double will be my third.  Aside from Tiffany Tang and her husband actor Luo Jin (Both from The Princess Weiyoung), and Jia Junyan, I don't know any other Chinese actors.  

So, here we go!


The episode starts off with some nice flute music that I really like.  A girl in a candy apple red and white outfit is running through a forest and a man in white is chasing after her.  He catches up to her, turns her around, embraces her and kisses her.  The scene turns into a girl sleeping and she is woken up by the sudden sound of thunder (haha a dream?)  She is "Xue Li, courtesy name Fangfei" 

Side note:  I had no idea what a courtesy name was so I had to look it up.  I read up on some of it but it was boring so I'm going to go back to watching the drama and leave the research for tomorrow!

Xue Li wakes up and there is a man laying down on her.  Looks like his head is resting on her stomach.  She wakes him up and when he looks at her she screams.  (maybe he's not who she thought he was?  or not the same guy from before?)  She struggles and 2 women walk in (described as Shen Ruyun and Mrs. Shen).  Shen Ruyun screams out loud.  

Next scene Xue Li is in a room and she's sitting on the floor looking like she's tired or waking up.  She's remembering someone yelling at her "You dirty and shameless bitch!"  She hears her name twice and she jumps.  Cut to her hands and you see they are tied up with chains.  She is chained to the bottom of a table or bench.  A man walks in (Shen Bingxiu, courtesy name Yurong).  Xue Li says "Dear, you're here at last.  I was set up.  Mother and Yurong are mistaken."  The man's fae is expressionless as he stares at Xue Li.  She continues, "We've been married for so many years.  You should know me."  The man reveals he has a hatchet in his right hand.  Xue Li looks at it and says "Dear. You...".  He raises the hatchet as she loudly says "You don't believe me either?"  He strikes the chain several times with the hatchet and frees her.  Tears start to flow from her eyes and he says to her "Let's go"

Next scene they're in a horse drawn carriage (I was certain that there had to be a Chinese word for this so of course I had to look it up.  It's ma che I was curious!).  Xue Li is in his arms as he opens a bottle for her and she drinks from it. (right here I am suspicious.  did he really believe her or is he just getting revenge?)  She drinks from the bottle and he watches her.  He takes the bottle, puts it down and he returns to holding her.  She closes her eyes and quickly her head goes limp. (honestly looks like he drugged her but she probably just fell asleep).  You see the ma che go off into the distance.

Next scene, Xi Li wakes up.  She's laying down in a hole with her hands tied with rope.  She sits up while Shen Bingxiu is walking towards the hole holding a lantern and a shovel. She sees him when he stands by the hole.  "You know I was set up". Shen Bingxiu stares at her.  She says "Who did it?  Was it you?".  Tears start to roll down his face.  "Or was it your mother?  Was it your sister? Shen Young, I'm not a clingly person.  One letter of divorce from you and I would be gone. But why are you so cruel?  You want to destroy my reputation and kill me here too."  Shen Bingxiu says "Xue Li, I have no choice. She could have crushed us like ants."  Xue Li asks, "Who?"  He puts the lantern down.  "Xue Li, close your eyes."  Xue Li grabs the shovel and says "Shen Yurong! How dare you do this to me? Aren't you afraid my father and brother wouldn't spare you?"  Shen gets the shovel back and says "You'll reunite with them soon enough."  Xue Li says "Shen Yurong, what happened to them?"  He says "Duke Xue was sentenced to death for corruption.  Xue Zhao ran into bandits on his way to visit you.  He died a horrible death."  "Was it your doing?" Xue Li asks.  "Was it?  Why are you doing this to me?".  He says, "I'm sorry.  I have failed you in this life." as he strikes a blow to her head and then he screams out loud in pain.

A little over 8 minutes and again, a lot has happened so far.  Going to end it right here for now so I can pay attention to the rest.















No comments: