Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Burn the House Down ~ 御手洗家、炎上する ~ Mitarai ke, Enjou Suru (SOME SPOILERS INCLUDED)

 Started watching this one over the past weekend and I finished it tonight.  I hadn't planned on watching it; didn't even know about it but Netflix recommended it.  I saw it was 2023 so I figured why not.  There were no actors in it that I had heard of but I decided to watch it anyway even though I didn't read the plot lol.

The story starts with a nice big house on fire.  A woman drops to her knees and says to a guy that it's her fault and she apologizes to him.  The woman is Satsuki, the woman of the house and the man is Osamu, her husband.  One of their young kids, Anzu, is there and she sees another woman in the crowd kind of smiling and then she leaves.

Years later, Satuski and Osamu are now divorced, and she is in the hospital with a case of amnesia.  She remembers her 2 daughters but she's not remembering a lot of other things.  It all stems from the stress of feeling guilty of having set the fire in her home.

Anzu is sure her mother was not the one who did it and she sets out to find out what happened.

Osamu is now married to the woman who was in the crowd smiling, Makiko.  We find out that Satsuki and Makiko used to be friends.  Makiko was divorced and raising her 2 sons who were the same age as Anzu and her sister Yuzu.  Makiko was struggling financially and she was jealous of Satsuki because her husband was a doctor and he made a lot of money.  Makiko and the boys would have dinner with Satsuki and her family not realizing how jealous she was of the family.

Anzu is sure Makiko was the one who set the fire 13 years ago so she and her sister, along with a friend who is computer saavy, was going to find evidence to prove it.

The story moved fairly quickly.  I was all set to see how the girls would find out the truth (Makiko set the fire on purpose over her jealousy) and how they would let it come out. Eventually, Makiko was cornered when presented with the truth by Anzu and she broke down and confessed.  She was arrested the next day but, there was a twist in the interrogation.  I was NOT expecting THAT twist at all!

Finally, just as the real truth was set to be revealed, there was yet ANOTHER TWIST.  I hadn't seen that coming either.

The last half of the last episode was shitty.  They could have spent 1 whole episode slowly getting to that ending.  For me, it was rushed.  And it was rushed in a terrible way.  I still really liked it and I recommend it!



No comments: